Who doesn’t like a bit of sunshine and fresh air? This Sunday it goes a glorious one in North County Dublin so I took full advantage of it and hit the historical walk near Loughshinny beach. A family day as they call it. My kids love climbing, exploring and they know movement is not negotiable. Did you hear that? Yes, movement is not negotiable as our bodies are designed to move every day, every hour, we even move while sleeping.
We decided to go al the way down to the beach and pushed our bodies through climbing down the cliffs. What a beautiful view! Many times the simplest things are the best, and if there is something I learn during this year of lockdowns and restrictions is beauty can be everywhere even around those 5k.
The scenery and the weather were specially breathtaking so I decided why not practice a bit of Pilates outdoors? I know my family now I’m crazy about Pilates and I really am, but practicing it outdoors is specially good.
I didn’t have any Pilates props or equipment with me so I used nature. A rock to stand on and another natural rocky formation to place my hands. I practice a couple of standing pilates superman, modified push ups and yummy stretches. The results? Feeling renewed and stronger after 15 mins.
Here are some of the benefits of Pilates and exercising outdoors
- It boosts your energy levels
- Improves mood and releases the ‘feel good’ hormones (you breath more oxygen, so your body will produce more serotonin)
- Strengthens your immune system
- You build core strength (of course, that what Pilates do)!
- Improves blood and heart rate
- Extra shot of Vitamin D
- Add and extra challenge to your Pilates routine (I certainly needed to use some creativity to practice planks or crunches in the rocks).
- Prevent ankle and knee injuries (even walking in uneven surfaces will help you keep your joints flexible and strong) and you need some practice with it.
Exercising in nature really has countless benefits and Pilates as a form of movement is not an exception. Research shows that the brain functions better after spending time outdoors as it gets more oxygen, increasing concentration and energy.
So, bottom line. Include some fresh air routine in your self-care program. Wellbeing has never been more important than now.
I also took some pictures as a proof and inspiration to write the Journal.